A CONSTRUCTION site on Jalan Ampang where 27 Covid-19 cases were detected amongst its workers two weeks ago was slapped with a 30-day closure notice by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) on Sunday (May 10).
DBKL officers in an operation dubbed Operation Covid-19, pasted a red notice at the entrance of the site informing the closure of the area and sealed the site with yellow tape at 1pm.
A DBKL spokesman said the notice was issued under Section 70 of the Street and Drainage Act 1974 and takes effect immediately.
“The offence was that they had built temporary accommodation for their workers at the basement of the building (at the construction site) without permission from the mayor of Kuala Lumpur," he said.
“We do not condone these things and we hope that others would take this as a lesson," added the spokesman. The welfare and health of workers are also important and must be given priority," he added.
Last week, Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa warned developers and contractors that the city will shut down construction sites in the city centre under its by-laws if they fail to ensure their site and workers are free from Covid-19.
Annuar also expressed disappointment at some developers who failed to provide proper accommodation or sleeping quarters for their workers.
He warned them that if they compromise on their workers' health, action will be taken against them.