One of the biggest international vocal competitions, i-SiNG World 2020, will be held in Kuala Lumpur this September.
The annual event is supported by Malaysia’s Tourism, Arts, and Culture Ministry as well as Visit Malaysia 2020.
The Malaysian audition and finals will be jointly organised by The Rythymis Mine Studio and Creative Line Promotion.
The 2019 finals in Stockholm, Sweden last year attracted participants from 47 countries, and the Malaysian organisers are targeting contestants from 50 countries this time around.
A total of 28 countries have already confirmed their entries: Australia, Cambodia, Canada, China, Finland, France, Greece, Guinea, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, and Vietnam.
In a recent press conference, the organisers announced the auditions to shortlist Malaysian participants for the world championship.
“Besides vocal ability and showmanship, we want contestants from each country to also showcase their country’s culture, ” said i-SiNG World chairman and co-founder Yuro James Tee, adding that judges in previous years’ competitions were impressed by contestants who made an effort to dress up in their traditional costumes.
Two years ago, Malaysian i-SiNG champion Syafeek Ikhwan sang French song Je Suis Malade while wearing baju melayu, beating 43 contestants to emerge as the winner of i-SiNG World 2018, held in Paris, France.
“It’s time for Malaysians to win back the i-SiNG crown this year, now that our singers can benefit from a homeground advantage, ” said Syafeek, who is currently working on releasing his fourth single. He also hosts a 13-episode cultural television programme for RTM on top of his day job with The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam).
i-SiNG Malaysia 2020 auditions The local auditions are open to Malaysian citizens who fulfil the age requirements, and are not signed to any recording company. Contestants are required to bring their own music CD, and may sing in any language during the audition. Finalists will be required to sing two songs, of which one must be in Bahasa Malaysia.
A series of audition sessions to select Malaysian representatives will take place from now till the third quarter of 2020. These auditions will be conducted at regional shopping malls: Plaza Pelangi, Johor Bahru (March 14-15); Mahkota Parade, Melaka (March 21-22), Centrepoint Sabah, Kota Kinabalu (April 4-5); Kuching, Sarawak (April 11-12); Berjaya TImes Square, Kuala Lumpur (June 20-21).
Dates and venues for auditions in Penang and Kuantan will be announced later.
The final round of competition for i-SiNG Malaysia 2020 will take place at Berjaya Times Square KL on July 4, while the grand finale of the i-SiNG World 2020 will be conducted at Berjaya Times Square KL from September 11 to 16.
- Contestants must be citizens or permanent residents of the country they intend to represent.
- Each contestant may only participate in one category.
- The winners of i-SiNG Malaysia 2020 will represent the country in i-SiNG World 2020.
- Registration fees are priced at RM100 per individual and RM200 per group. Early birds will receive a 20% discount.
- There are three categories in the competition: junior, solo senior and group.
- The solo junior category is open to minors aged six to 16 years.
- The solo senior category is open to individuals aged 17 and above.
- The group can be formed by any combination of two to five singers, regardless of age.
- Each country may register a maximum of five contestants for each solo competition (Juniors and Seniors) and two teams in the group category.
For more information, visit I-Sing Malaysia 2020 Facebook (fb.com/ISINGMALAYSIA2020/), email email@example.com, or Whatsapp Creative Line Promotion (017 3101 288) or The Rythymis Mine Studio (+65 9385 4971)