US backs 300% in duties on Bombardier after Boeing complaint


Boeing's aim is to "further drive cost down and value up for our customers," Boeing Chief Executive Officer Dennis Muilenburg said in an internal statement to employees that was seen by Reuters. It also will capture more services revenue after a plane is sold

WASHINGTON: The US Commerce Department has notched up proposed trade duties on Bombardier Inc CSeries jets to nearly 300%, affirming Boeing Co's complaint that the Canadian company received illegal subsidies and dumped the planes at "absurdly low" prices.

The decision underscored the defensive trade policy of US President Donald Trump, and could effectively halt sales of Bombardier's innovative new plane to US airlines by quadrupling the cost of the jets imported to the United States.

The Commerce Department proposed a 79.82% antidumping duty on Friday, on top of a 219.63% duty for subsidies announced last week.

The new duty follows a preliminary finding that Bombardier sold 75 CSeries jets below cost to Delta Air Lines Inc in 2016. The total was well above the 80% Boeing sought in its complaint.

The proposed duties would not take effect unless affirmed by the US International Trade Commission (ITC) early next year.

The duties are expected to heighten trade tensions between the United States, Canada and Britain, where CSeries wings are made. The United States, Canada and Mexico also are negotiating to modernise the North American Free Trade Agreement.

After the first duty was announced on Sept. 26, Canada and Britain threatened to avoid buying Boeing military equipment, saying duties on the CSeries would reduce U.S. sales and put thousands of Bombardier jobs in their countries at risk.

"This is a disappointing statement but hardly surprising given last week's preliminary ruling sided with Boeing," a British government spokesman said on Saturday.

"We continue to make all efforts alongside the Canadian government to get Boeing to the table to resolve the case."

Bombardier shares were last up 0.5% to C$2.20. Some analysts said the muted response reflected a view that the penalties might not actually be applied.

Boeing, the world's largest plane maker, hailed the decision and hinted at an alternative for Bombardier.

"These duties are the consequence of a conscious decision by Bombardier to violate trade law and dump their CSeries aircraft to secure a sale," Chicago-based Boeing said in a statement.

"Bombardier always has the option of coming into full compliance with trade laws," Boeing added.

Canada's foreign ministry said Boeing was "manipulating the U.S. trade remedy system" to keep the CSeries out of the country.

Canada is in "complete disagreement" with the decision and would keep raising concerns with the United States and Boeing, Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a statement.

To win its case before the ITC, Boeing must prove it was harmed by Bombardier's sales, despite not using one of its own jets to compete for the Delta order.

Bombardier said it was confident that the ITC would find Boeing was not harmed, calling the Commerce Department decision a case of "egregious overreach."

Delta said the decision was preliminary and it was confident the ITC "will conclude that no U.S. manufacturer is at risk" from Bombardier's plane.

Boeing has said the dispute was about "maintaining a level playing field" and was not an attack on Canada or Britain.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said the decision affirmed Trump's "America First" policy.

"We will ... do everything in our power to stand up for American companies and their workers," Ross said in a statement.

But the industry is not so simple. More than half of the purchased content of each CSeries aircraft comes from U.S. suppliers, Bombardier has said. The plane supports an estimated 22,700 jobs and Bombardier's aerospace division spent $2.14 billion in the United States last year, according to the company and documents seen by Reuters.

Boeing has said the CSeries would not exist without hundreds of millions of dollars in launch aid from the governments of Canada and Britain and a $2.5 billion equity infusion from the province of Quebec and its largest pension fund in 2015. - Reuters

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Business News

Lagenda eyes next growth chapter with record RM1.75bil unbilled sales
Master Tec posts 21.5% rise in 2Q net profit
DRB-Hicom expects moderate outlook for FY26
OCR’s Residensi Akasia fully sold as project reaches topping-out stage
FGV appoints Nurul Muhaniza Hanafi as group managing director
Golden Destinations eyes growth with East Malaysia, Singapore expansion
ITMAX bags RM186.8mil Perkeso contract
Kossan to acquire S'pore-based company for RM48mil
MMCS eyes growth backed by RM101.7mil order book
Ringgit extends gains to close higher vs major, regional currencies

Others Also Read