Tokyo has asked Beijing to ensure its citizens’ safety after a stabbing in a Shanghai restaurant in which two Japanese were injured, Japan’s consulate in Shanghai said.
It is the latest diplomatic point of friction as the two countries are embroiled in a stand-off triggered by Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s suggestion Tokyo might intervene militarily if Beijing were to invade Taiwan.
China insisted yesterday the case was “an isolated public security incident”.
On Tuesday, Pudong district police said on social media they had received a report that a man “was injuring people with a fruit knife in a restaurant”.
Police said the suspect, a 59-year-old surnamed Yang who was detained at the scene, had a history of mental illness.
Three people were taken to hospital, the statement said, with Japanese media later reporting two were Japanese.
Asked about the reports, the Japanese consulate in Shanghai confirmed two citizens had been hurt, adding they were receiving medical treatment.
“The Government of Japan has requested the Chinese government to... clarify the facts and provide a clear explanation... (and) ensure the safety and security of Japanese nationals,” a spokesman said in a statement.
Top government spokesman Minoru Kihara later confirmed Tokyo’s request, adding that a consular alert had been sent out to all Japanese residents in China.
“The government will continue ... to provide all possible support from the standpoint of protecting Japanese nationals,” he said.
China’s foreign ministry said yesterday that the third person injured was Chinese.
“This incident is an isolated public security case, and Chinese authorities will handle it in accordance with the law,” spokesman Guo Jiakun told a regular press briefing. — AFP
