India wants return of stranded ships before sending more to Gulf


- Photo: Reuters

NEW DELHI: India wants to secure the return of its ships stranded in the Gulf before sending any vessels back to load fuel, a senior government official said on Thursday (May 21).

"Our priority is to get all our ships out of the Strait of Hormuz," said Mukesh Mangal, additional secretary at India's ministry of ports, shipping and waterways.

India will send vessels to the west of the Strait of Hormuz "whenever the situation becomes conducive", he added.

India's shipping ministry is coordinating with the foreign ministry and a decision on sending vessels back will be taken after all stranded ships return, Mangal told a press conference.

He said 13 Indian-flagged vessels and one Indian-owned vessel are still stuck on the west side of the Strait.

Thirteen vessels loaded with energy cargoes, mostly liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), have so far transited out of the Strait since its effective closure due to the conflict which began with US-Israeli strikes on Iran on Feb 28.

Before the war, India sourced more than 40% of its crude oil imports and about 90% of its LPG, which is used for cooking, from the Middle East through the Strait of Hormuz.

India now faces one of its worst cooking gas supply disruptions in decades, with shipments through the Strait largely halted due to the conflict. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia, Malaysia have approved asset transfers to new Eni-PETRONAS JV, PETRONAS exec says
HK actor Sean Lau secretly photographed on train, amusing response wins over netizens
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
Philippines vows to arrest fugitive senator wanted by ICC 'without delay'
Four foreigners detained in Brunei immigration raids
Number of Covid-19 cases rises to 12,700 in Singapore, CDA monitoring increase in infections
Chinese man who lost a leg and an arm inspires many by competing in bodybuilding
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
Buriram coach praises the fighting spirit of his boys after they successfully contained Selangor FC in the first-leg final

Others Also Read