SEREMBAN: The decision to allocate RM180,000 each to 17 Pakatan Harapan assemblymen two days before the dissolution of the state legislative assembly received full approval from the state executive council, says Datuk Ismail Lasim.
The Negri Sembilan Menteri Besar stated that the exco approved the allocation on June 3, prior to the official dissolution of the state assembly on June 5.
"The funding was specifically channelled for their respective constituency service centres," he said when winding up debates on the Supplementary Supply Bill 2026 during a one-day special legislative sitting.
When pressed by government backbenchers on the timeline of the disbursements, Ismail admitted he was uncertain of the exact dates.
"If you ask me exactly when the cash was disbursed, I am not entirely sure," he added.
His clarification followed concerns raised by backbenchers earlier in the session, who urged the administration to investigate whether the funds were approved and distributed through proper procedures.
Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias (Barisan-Pertang) said a letter addressed to a then state exco, which later went viral, indicated the cash was meant for programmes to be held from July to September.
He asked if it was proper for the cash to be disbursed for that duration given that a new government was formed on Aug 1.
Ismail said the state exco would discuss the matter and present its findings at the next assembly sitting.
"We need time to discuss this as this is a little complicated," he said, adding that this was also necessary because some of the former assemblymen were no longer in government.
Barisan Nasional and Perikatan Nasional won the Aug 1 state election after securing 18 and seven seats respectively, while Pakatan won the remaining 11.
The previous state government was a unity government formed by Pakatan and Barisan.
However, the administration collapsed after 14 Barisan assemblymen withdrew support for former Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun.
Earlier, the state assembly unanimously approved a RM40.3mil supplementary operating budget for 2026.
The additional allocation was intended to meet several financial commitments and decisions made by the state government for the current year.
These include federal debt repayment (RM6.5mil), pensions and gratuities (RM5.85mil), civil servant bonuses (RM13mil), and upgrading works on the state mosque alongside maintenance of mosques, surau, and Islamic cemeteries statewide (RM15mil).
With this addition, the state's total operating expenditure for 2026 increased from RM640mil to RM680.3mil.
The legislative assembly was then adjourned sine die.
