Works Ministry strengthens infrastructure resilience with risk-based safety planning


Works Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi (left) checking on the slope repair project along the Lojing-Gua Musang road. - Photo: Bernama

GUA MUSANG: The Works Ministry will strengthen a proactive approach based on risk assessment, technical studies, and long-term safety planning to manage the nation's infrastructure and reduce disaster risks such as debris flows and landslides, says its minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi.

He said the approach reflected the government's commitment to ensuring the country's road network remains safe and resilient and continues to benefit the public, particularly strategic routes that serve as vital links for connectivity and economic activity.

Nanta said the slope repair project along Route FT185 Section 61.00 of the Lojing-Gua Musang road, serves as an example of implementing long-term mitigation strategies rather than merely repairing damage after a disaster occurs.

"We need to shift from a reactive to a proactive approach based on risk assessment, technical studies, and long-term safety planning," he told reporters after the handover ceremony of the Slope Repair Project along Route FT185, Section 61.00 of the Lojing-Gua Musang road near here Thursday (July 16).

He said the RM10.4mil mitigation project includes slope repairs, drainage construction, resurfacing, utility relocation, and key debris-flow mitigation components such as a Sabo dam and a debris-flow barrier.

He added that the Sabo dam construction marks the fourth such structure built by the Public Works Department (JKR) in Peninsular Malaysia, following those in Raub, Pahang; Seremban, Negri Sembilan; and Baling, Kedah, thereby strengthening the nation's capability to manage debris-flow risks.

He said the Sabo dam controls flow velocity, traps debris and sediment, and reduces the risk of overflow, enhancing the resilience of national infrastructure against climate change and unpredictable rainfall patterns.

Nanta said the ministry will continue to emphasise infrastructure safety, resilience, and maintenance because every allocation spent on such projects is a long-term investment in public safety, smooth mobility, and local economic stability.

He also said that periodic maintenance of the Sabo dam must receive proper annual allocations to ensure the protective asset remains optimal and functions effectively.

Meanwhile, Galas assemblyman Datuk Mohd Syahbuddin Hashim said the construction of the Sabo dam benefits local residents and road users by reducing the risk of flooding and debris flows that would otherwise spill over onto the main road.

He said the structure was built to prevent a recurrence of the 2021 incident, when swift currents from a nearby waterfall carried fallen trees and debris onto the road.

"The swift flow from the waterfall area crossed the road, so with the Sabo dam in place, road users no longer have to worry about floods carrying rubbish and debris that block the route," he said.

Mohd Syahbuddin added that the construction of the Sabo dam also benefits the Orang Asli community in the highlands, who rely on the route for their daily activities.

"Previously, whenever water overflowed, the road had to be closed for several days for clearance works, disrupting their movement and daily activities," he said. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read