PERKESO’s Lindung 24 Jam scheme now optional, says Fahmi


PETALING JAYA: The Cabinet has decided that contributions to the Social Security Organisation's (PERKESO) Employment Injury Scheme for Non-Work Accident (Lindung 24 Jam) will no longer be mandatory, with immediate effect.

The government spokesman Datuk Fahmi Fadzil said the decision means the contribution of 0.75% of an employee's salary will now be voluntary.

"The Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim) raised the feedback received regarding the implementation of the 0.75% contribution from employees' salaries for PERKESO’s Lindung 24 Jam scheme.

"Following this, the Cabinet has decided that the contribution will no longer be mandatory but instead be implemented on a voluntary basis, effective immediately.

"The Human Resources Ministry will issue a further statement on this decision," said Fahmi, who is also the Communications Minister, in a statement on Wednesday (July 8).

Previously, it was reported that more than nine million contributors under the Employees' Social Security Act 1969 (Act 4) were automatically covered against non-workplace accidents from June 1.

Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri R. Ramanan was quoted as saying that the Lindung 24 Jam scheme, introduced through amendments to the Employees' Social Security Act 1969, provides broader social security protection in Malaysia, including during public holidays and other days off.

Ramanan said contributions to the Lindung 24 Jam scheme are to be borne entirely by employees and implemented in phases, subject to the contribution wage ceiling of RM6,000.

For the initial phase, the contribution rate was set at 0.75% of an employee's monthly salary, with employers responsible for deducting the amount from employees' wages and remitting the contributions to PERKESO each month.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Electrician electrocuted while installing power pole in Sandakan
Govt rules out acquisition of Datasonic Technologies
RM41mil in assets seized, 12 detained in Sabah illegal mining crackdown
Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene

Others Also Read