722,151 travellers use Penang airport’s new autogate system since end of December last year


GEORGE TOWN: The new autogate system at Penang International Airport has benefited travellers, said State Tourism and Creative Economy Committee chairman Wong Hon Wai.

Wong, in a statement on Tuesday (May 19), said he was briefed by the Border Control and Protection Agency (AKPS) on the enhancement of immigration clearance systems at the Penang International Airport during the recent State Legislative Assembly sitting.

He said AKPS Penang commander Zuhair Jamaludin briefed him on the latest developments and progress of the Airport Autogate System and the National Integrated Immigration System (MyNIISe).

"According to the agency, 722,151 passengers were recorded using the new autogate system at the Penang International Airport between Dec 31 last year and April 26 this year," he said.

He said the new autogate system was installed in December last year and was fully operational by early February this year, while MyNIISe was officially launched on March 1.

"Currently, travellers from 73 countries can use the automated departure clearance, and travellers from 65 countries can use automated entry clearance into Malaysia.

"The number of autogates will be increased to 12 lanes for arrivals and 12 lanes for departures," he said.

Wong said that through the MyNIISe application and the upgraded autogate system, travellers can now complete immigration clearance using QR codes.

"The system is expected to be progressively integrated with and eventually replace the existing MyBorderPass system.

"Right now, passengers at the Penang International Airport have three main options for immigration clearance: by using their passport, using a QR code via the MyNIISe application at the autogate system, or proceeding through manual clearance at immigration counters.

Wong said that, based on feedback, international visitors have found the overall experience easy.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read