Over half of Kedah's padi fields now at ploughing stage, says Mat Sabu


SERDANG: More than 50% of padi fields in Kedah, including areas under the Muda Agricultural Development Authority (Mada), have entered the ploughing stage despite reports that nearly 90% of farmers had yet to begin planting for the first season.

Agriculture and Food Security Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Sabu said water was already available in the fields, although dam levels had yet to reach a satisfactory level.

"Planting activities are expected to begin soon, as more than 50% of the fields have already been ploughed. The process is already underway," he tod a press conference on Monday (May 18) in conjunction with the launch of a programme for the Malaysia Agriculture, Horticulture and Agro-Tourism Exhibition (Maha) 2026.

Earlier this month, it was reported that almost 90% of padi farmers in Kedah, including those within Mada areas, had yet to begin planting for the year's first season because of rising operational costs and water supply shortages.

According to the Mada schedule, planting for Phase One was to commence on April 15, followed by Phase Two on April 29 and Phase Three on May 13.

On whether delays in planting could affect Malaysia’s rice self-sufficiency rate (SSR), Mohamad acknowledged that delays could result in lower production.

"If delays occur, there will indeed be a reduction. We also know that weather conditions can sometimes affect planting schedules and cause changes in planting dates.

"However, if there is a shortfall in the SSR, we have measures in place to make up for it," he said.

On Maha 2026, Mohamad said the exhibition, themed "Value Creation for Food Security", would focus on efforts to increase value across the country’s entire agri-food chain.

Scheduled to take place from Aug 28 to Sept 6, it targets four million visitors, with the participation of 2,000 exhibitors from within and outside the country, he said.

"It is also expected to generate at least RM55mil in direct sales and attract potential investments worth RM8bil through the signing of memorandums of understanding and memorandums of agreement," he added.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Phones belonging to Zara Qairina and mother among those analysed, court told
Johor JPJ seizes 44 luxury vehicles
District police chief in Sarawak under investigation for sexual harassment
Home Ministry seeks RM4.3mil to upgrade GOF 3rd Battalion Camp
Sabah STAR reps urged to clarify stance after Kaamatan event with Warisan's Shafie
TNB launches Malaysia's first battery energy storage system connected to national grid
Nothing earthshaking about UEC 'recognition' in current form, says ex-MCA chief
Country's GDP expected to grow due to high foreign investment, says Finance Ministry
Three held as Kelantan cops bust burglary gang
Bruneian paddlers claim podium finish in Sabah regatta

Others Also Read