PM: No pardon for Jho Low


IPOH: Malaysia will neither consider nor seek a pardon for fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, says Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

The Prime Minister said any pardon application involving Low should not even arise, given the seriousness of the alleged crimes linked to the businessman, which resulted in massive losses to the country.

“However, there was confusion on Friday regarding the Jho Low issue.

“When I said it did not arise, it did not mean there was no issue.

“What I meant was that I would not consider it at all if he were to apply for a pardon.

“He is involved in fraud and crimes that caused billions in losses to the country.

“I will not seek a pardon for him,” Anwar said when met after attending an engagement session and the presentation of letters of acceptance to bumiputra subcontractors here yesterday.

Anwar noted that several media reports on Friday had created confusion over Malaysia’s position on the matter.

“When I say it will not be considered, some media outlets reported otherwise.

“What I meant was that it is not an issue for us to focus on or consider,” he clarified, Bernama reported.

Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail said allegations that Low had returned to Malaysia for secret meetings have not been verified.

“We have not verified whether these claims are true or otherwise.

“We will take appropriate action to investigate the matter further,” he told reporters after attending the Pengaman-Royal Malaysia Police Autism Centre’s Autism Day celebration in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

He was commenting on an online report that claimed the filing of the plea by the fugitive businessman for a presidential pardon in the United States took place in January against an extraordinary background, whereby Low played a key role in secret negotiations between China and Malaysia to write off 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) related debts at the end of last year.

The article also quoted sources claiming that meetings took place in Kuala Lumpur under the protection of the Chinese delegation.

Low was previously identified as a central figure in the 1MDB scandal.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday that Low is seeking clemency from US President Donald Trump.

According to the report, which cited sources, the request was filed in recent weeks and, if granted, would remove the criminal charges against him in the US.

He has been accused by the US of masterminding one of the largest financial frauds in history linked to 1MDB.

Low, who was charged in 2018 but has evaded arrest, submitted a pardon application to the US Department of Justice (DOJ) this year, according to the DOJ website.

Low has denied the allegations against him and has been on the run all these while.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two new species found in Sarawak forest reserves
Anwar congratulates national team on 2026 Sepak Takraw World Cup Quadrant Event victory
Aggressive conduct towards media not part of Johor culture, says Aznan Tamin
Viral videos lead to arrest of six over suspected drug-laced vape sales
Malaysia calls for unhindered access to humanitarian assistance, says Health Minister
31,243 Malaysian haj pilgrims in Holy Land, final flight tomorrow
Assistant HR manager loses over RM163,000 in online investment scam
Johor police to call witnesses over alleged rough treatment of media at PH convention
‘Disloyal party members must take responsibility’
‘Uphold Rukun Negara principles’

Others Also Read