Malaysia weighs legal, diplomatic response to Norway missile export halt, says Fahmi


KUALA LUMPUR: Putrajaya will explore diplomatic options and may consider appropriate legal action following Norway’s decision to halt exports of a missile series ordered by the country, according to Datuk Fahmi Fadzil.

The government spokesman said the matter was discussed during Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s conversation with his Norwegian counterpart yesterday (May 12).

“We will pursue steps through diplomatic channels while also examining legal aspects,” he told a post-Cabinet press conference on Wednesday (May 13).

He said the Malaysian government deeply regretted Norway’s last-minute decision not to approve an export permit for the missile procurement, which prevented the Norwegian company involved from continuing the agreed supply.

The Communications Minister said the contract had been signed in 2018 and implemented without issues, with all payments made according to schedule.

“The Malaysian government cannot accept the reasons given by the Norwegian government,” he said.

He stressed that the planning and implementation of the National Defence Plan were strategic interests that could not be compromised under any circumstances.

“What was informed to the Cabinet is that it was not related to the company, but rather the decision by the Norwegian government not to grant the export permit,” Fahmi said, then asked for the reason behind the decision.

He added that the decision not to grant the export permit was made at the final stage, after all payments had been made according to schedule.

“This is extremely disappointing and deeply regretted. Actions, whether legal or diplomatic, are being undertaken,” he said.

Asked whether Norway would have to compensate Malaysia, Fahmi said the issue had been raised by Anwar during his conversation with the Norwegian Prime Minister.

“This issue does not directly involve the Norwegian government.

“However, it is the Norwegian government that withdrew or did not issue the export permit at the last minute for the company to proceed with delivery.

“So the matter will be discussed further and is currently under review,” he added.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read