China points finger at US, says it's responsible for Hormuz chaos


BEIJING (dpa): China has blamed the United States and Israel for the effective closure of the Strait of Hormuz, which has disrupted global oil and gas exports through the key waterway.

The "root cause" of the blockade lies in the "illegal military activities of the United States and Israel against Iran," said Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning in Beijing on Thursday (April 2).

Security for international shipping lanes can only be guaranteed through a ceasefire and the establishment of peace and stability in the Gulf region, Mao said.

After the United States and Israel began attacking Iran on February 28, Iran responded by threatening to attack commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a chokepoint for global energy supplies located between Iran and Oman.

Due to the proximity of the Iranian coastline, it is nearly impossible for the United States to provide protection for vessels and so far only a very few tankers have been allowed through after securing permission from Tehran.

China is considered the largest buyer of Iranian crude oil.

In an address to the nation on Wednesday evening, US President Donald Trump suggested that the primary responsibility for security in the strait lies with the countries that depend on oil shipments from Iran.

This is in line with previous statements, with Trump repeatedly stressing that it is not up to the United States to solve the issue. – dpa

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Fuel prices May 21-27: Diesel, unsubsidised RON95, RON97 prices increased
IJM Corp share acquisition: Two individuals under MACC investigation
Royal Press Office urges stern action over fake TikTok account impersonating, insulting King
Malaysia awaiting results of Saudi probe into detention of five Malaysians in Mecca
MACC seeks AGC's assistance to contact individuals in Taiwan, UK on RM1.1bil investment case
Govt urged to include tour buses under diesel subsidy scheme
No need for by-elections for Pandan and Setiawangsa, says EC
Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng
MCMC engages civil groups on online child safety and protection

Others Also Read