Unemployed man caught red-handed trying to break in to Ayer Keroh house on first day of Raya


MELAKA: A 46-year-old unemployed man’s attempt to take advantage of the festive season ended in arrest when he was caught breaking into a home in Ayer Keroh in the early hours of the first day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri (March 21), leaving him to spend the celebration in lock-up until April 2.

Melaka Tengah OCPD Asst Comm Christopher Patit said the suspect, a local, was detained at about 2am on March 21 during a special operation to curb housebreaking activities in the district.

"The man was caught in the act while attempting to break into a house to steal festive items not far from his own residence,” he said, adding that initial investigations revealed the suspect had been operating alone and had been active since January.

He said the suspect, who is currently under remand, is believed to have targeted houses in gated and guarded neighbourhoods that were left unoccupied, with the intention of stealing festive items and other valuables.

"With the arrest, police have managed to solve five property crime cases reported between Jan 16 and March 21 this year,” he said on Monday (March 30).

ACP Christopher Patit said the suspect’s modus operandi was to scale perimeter walls before entering houses through bathroom or side windows.

“He would also park his vehicle some distance away before approaching the target house on foot through the bushes to avoid detection,” he added.

He said police also seized several items believed to have been used in the crimes, including a mobile phone, clothing, gloves and a car.

ACP Christopher Patit added that the case is being investigated under Sections 457 and 448 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum jail term of up to 14 years, and may also include a fine or whipping upon conviction.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

AG, Public Prosecutor separation Bill to be re-tabled June 22, says Azalina
PKR can prove Rafizi and Nik Nazmi joined Bersama before vacating seats, says sec-gen
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransom
Court to decide on Zizie Izette’s graft case on July 20
Job placement for registered refugees to help ease critical workforce issues, says Saifuddin
S'wak to teach Computer Science and Design in English from 2029
Cops submit investigation papers of fatal Petaling Jaya crash to AGC
Smugglers turn to rivers, coastal routes amid tighter controls, cops say
Speaker officially notified of Samsuri's appointment as Opposition Leader
King presents instruments of appointment to 15 envoys

Others Also Read