Govt bearing over RM500mil to maintain toll rates on 10 major highways this year, says Ahmad Maslan


PONTIAN: The government is bearing financial implications of over RM500mil to maintain the existing toll rates on 10 major highways this year

Deputy Works Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Maslan said this amount needs to be paid to 10 concession companies following the government's decision made last December.

"Everything, such as the absence of toll hikes or with toll discounts during the festive seasons, is not free but is borne by the government to the toll concessionaires according to the concession agreements that were signed previously," he said in an interview with Bernama on Saturday (March 7).

In the meantime, Ahmad said the government also bears a financial implication of around RM80mil per year to compensate all toll highway concessionaires following the 50 per cent toll discount given to the people during festive seasons.

He said that the amount needs to be paid to 33 highway concession companies for toll discounts during the Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Chinese New Year, Deepavali and Christmas celebrations.

Clearly, the provision of discounts aims to alleviate the cost of living for the people, especially during the festive seasons when they return to their hometowns.

Meanwhile, he said the government is implementing the construction of tolled highways through the privatisation method due to financial constraints in covering all infrastructure projects using the annual development allocation.

He said that through this method, concessionaires need to obtain financing from banks to cover the construction costs of the highway project, which amounts to billions of ringgit.

"When the project is privatised, the related company has to borrow from the bank to finance the billion-ringgit project, and the way to recover the payment is through toll collection," he said.

He also said that the toll collection is subject to the rates agreed upon in the concession agreement signed for a certain period.

"During the signed period, the toll rate was supposed to be increased. However, the government is concerned and does not want to raise the rate because it considers the people's livelihood," he added.- Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops open murder probe after body found in Sungai Perak
Tahfiz teacher arrested for sexual assault, abuse of two boys
Zayn Rayyan case: Sept 28 set for Ismanira’s appeal decision
Indonesia foils attempt to smuggle 75.7 tonnes of tin sand to Malaysia
Agriculture and Food Security Ministry to cut import reliance amid geopolitical uncertainties
No procession for Sarawak Maulidur Rasul celebration amid haze, hot weather
Immigration lorry crash: Investigation paper to be referred to AGC on Aug 20
Cops seize over 50,000 litres of misappropriated diesel during Puchong raid
Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre

Others Also Read