Comms Ministry orders probe of Threads post insulting Islam


PETALING JAYA: The Communications Ministry has ordered an investigation and immediate action following a social media post showing the desecration of the Quran.

Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil said the government strongly condemned the act, describing it as disrespectful, insulting to Islam and a challenge to the sensitivities of Malaysia’s multiracial society.

He said enforcement action had been directed under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

"The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has been instructed to act swiftly, while coordinating with the police to take comprehensive and uncompromising action under the law," he said in a statement on Wednesday (Feb 25).

Fahmi stressed that any behaviour touching on religious sensitivities and threatening public order would not be tolerated.

The post, uploaded on the Threads platform, allegedly shows an individual stepping on the Quran.

The incident sparked public outrage and concerns over religious harmony.

The probe is being conducted by the MCMC and Royal Malaysia Police.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read