No assets, roads reported damaged due to earthquake in Sabah, says Nanta


KUALA LUMPUR: No reports of damage involving assets or federal roads have been received so far following the 6.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Sabah yesterday, said Works Minister Alexander Nanta Linggi (pic).

He said the Works Ministry (KKR), however, is always prepared and closely monitoring the situation from time to time.

"I understand that so far we have not received any reports of damage but when an earthquake occurs, the ministry will continue to monitor the situation from time to time," he said.

He said this at a press conference after officiating the Launch of the Construction Action Plan 2026-2030 (CAP30) at Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) Malaysia here Tuesday (Feb 24) , which was also attended by CIDB Malaysia chairman Datuk Ir Yusuf Abd Wahab.

Commenting further, Nanta said Malaysia also adopts building design code standards to address structural resilience to earthquake disasters.

He said the code had been adopted for more than eight years by adapting international standards and is now among the requirements in the country's construction industry.

"I understand that Malaysia has adopted this code, namely the Malaysian National Annex to Eurocode 8 (MS EN 1998-1:2015), Design Of Structures For Earthquake Resistance since the end of 2017," he said.

Yesterday, a strong earthquake with a magnitude of 6.8 struck Sabah waters at 12.57am but did not pose any tsunami threat.

Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) director-general Dr Mohd Hisham Mohd Anip informed that the earthquake, which was centred 49km west of Kudat, did not pose any tsunami threat, but it was the strongest ever recorded in the country in 11 years. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read