Man loses over RM600,000 in investment scam


KUANTAN: A private sector employee lost more than RM600,000 after being duped by a bogus stock investment scheme promoted on social media.

Pahang police chief Datuk Seri Yahaya Othman said that on Nov 3 last year, the victim, a 57-year-old man, is believed to have contacted the suspect via WhatsApp after seeing a stock investment advertisement promising lucrative returns.

"The suspect offered a stock investment scheme with a guaranteed profit of 30 per cent within one month, with a minimum capital of RM10,000. To convince the victim, the suspect instructed him to download an investment application," he said in a statement on Thursday (Feb 19).

He said that through the application, the victim was shown purported profits that kept increasing, eventually reaching approximately RM1,843,765.38, including investment commissions.

"However, when the victim attempted to withdraw the invested funds along with the displayed profits, the suspect provided various excuses and demanded additional payments before the withdrawal process could be carried out.

Yahaya said that between Jan 9 and Feb 11, the victim made four fund transfers to four different bank accounts, using his personal savings and loans from family members, resulting in total losses of RM636,123.

In this regard, he also advised the public to conduct checks and seek early advice from the nearest police station before participating in any investment, to avoid falling victim to fraud.

"The public is also encouraged to verify bank account numbers through the Semak Mule website before carrying out any financial transactions. Scam victims are also advised to immediately contact the National Scam Response Centre (NSRC) at 997 for prompt assistance," he said. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Police , Scam , WhatsApp , NSRC , Yahaya Othman , #JanganKenaScam

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read