Sabah anti-drug convoy sets off on journey


Sending a message: Hajiji giving the thumbs up while posing with the convoy participants in Kota Kinabalu.

KOTA KINABALU: A Sabah Drug Free Aspiration Tour (JABD) ­convoy of 150 motorcycles and eight four-wheel drive vehicles was flagged off at Menara Kinabalu here by Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor.

The event is jointly organised by the National Anti-Drugs Agency, the Sabah Anti-Drugs Squad, Foodpanda and the Employees Provident Fund (EPF).

Aimed at raising awareness of drug abuse and the importance of a drug-free Sabah, it will ­culminate in an event taking place on Sept 6 at Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) in ­conjunction with Sabah Moto Day 9.0.

During the ceremony yesterday, Hajiji also handed over a contribution of RM531,350 from the state government to EPF for 10,627 e-hailing riders.

In Tuaran on Sunday, Hajiji called for stricter enforcement and tighter border controls after police busted a drug operation dubbed the largest ever to take place in the state.

Hajiji said Sabah “will not allow” itself to become a transit point for international narcotics syndicates and that drugs should be kept away from the local ­communities.

He said he had urged the Inspector-General of Police to take firm action against drug cartels and traffickers.

“I have asked for tighter controls, whether by sea, air or land involving the police, Customs, Immigration, and all relevant agencies,” he said.

Police last week revealed its largest seizure of over three tonnes of drugs with a street value of RM240mil in two ­separate operations in Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Sepanggar, as well as in Selangor, following months of intelligence gathering.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Five held, fertilisers, processing machines worth RM771,000 seized in Tasek Gelugor
Fatal impact, four-wheel drive crashes into trailer
Woman killed, two injured in Chinese New Year crash near Bukit Beruntung
Ipoh floods: 26 people sheltered at Al Ghufron mosque
JPJ issues over 7,000 notices to motorcyclists during 2026 CNY special operation
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan extend CNY greetings
Clean up after fireworks or face the music, revellers reminded
No ang pow, but new bonds for PLKN trainees
Bersatu turmoil deepens as divisions seek dissolution
Early CNY gift for historic Chinese village

Others Also Read