Mindef, Finance Ministry in talks over operating funds following procurement freeze


PETALING JAYA: Negotiations are ongoing between the Defence Ministry and Finance Ministry for operational expenditure funds following the government’s temporary freeze on defence procurement imposed last month, says Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin.

He said his ministry had been called in to discuss issues that may require immediate attention.

"This is to ensure that operations and the readiness of the Armed Forces are not affected," he told a press conference at the launch of the 50th Railway Specialist Regiment Rapid Rail Squadron on Monday (Feb 16).

He also assured that military operations continue smoothly and effectively despite the freeze.

"The readiness of our forces continues to be maintained," he added.

On Jan 16, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim ordered a freeze on military and police procurement decisions to ensure full compliance with procedures, following corruption allegations involving senior military leaders.

Earlier this month, it was reported that the top leadership of the Armed Forces would meet Anwar to seek the release of funds.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Wan Saiful withdraws appeal against Bersatu dismissal
Two mechanics charged with smuggling four migrants in Tumpat
Mindef to set up more specialist regiments, boost reserve force numbers
In CNY message, Hajiji pledges inclusive development and progress for all Sabahans
Fahmi: Rafizi, protesters within their rights to rally against Azam Baki
Cloud seeding lifts Bukit Merah Dam off critical brink
Police probe of defence info leaks still ongoing, says Khaled
Woman charged with RM465,500 CBT over vehicle permit proceeds
Sabah’s new solar plants ‘not enough’ to fix power woes, says rep
Nearly RM9mil worth of vape products seized in nationwide op

Others Also Read