No closure order for schools linked to Kota Tinggi TB outbreak


JOHOR BARU: No directive has been issued to close the five schools linked to the Tuberculosis (TB) outbreak in Kota Tinggi, says state education and information committee chairman Aznan Tamin (pic).

He said students from the three primary and two secondary schools involved had been fully screened by the Health Ministry.

“Any decision related to school closures falls solely under the jurisdiction of the district health office and, so far, there has been no directive to close the schools.

“Students in the affected schools have been fully screened, and the district health office has also conducted engagement sessions with the schools.

“Sanitation and thorough cleaning have also been carried out in areas identified as high-risk as an early preventive step,” he said in a statement here on Saturday (Feb 7).

He added that the district health office will also arrange for medical officers to visit affected schools to provide further briefings on TB, including preventive measures that should be observed by the school community.

“All schools are reminded to continuously comply with the Health Ministry’s directives and guidelines, and to refrain from spreading unverified information that could cause public anxiety,” he said.

On Feb 5, Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad confirmed a TB cluster in Pengerang, Kota Tinggi, with 33 positive cases detected after screening 804 close contacts.

Aznan had previously confirmed that six students were among the 33 positive cases, and that no directive had been issued to close any schools as the situation remained under control.

TB is an infectious disease caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis and is transmitted through the air to nearby close contacts.

Symptoms include a persistent cough, significant weight loss, loss of appetite, night sweats and coughing up blood.

TB is preventable and fully curable through effective treatment, with a minimum treatment period of six months.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Duo remanded over misuse of public funds totalling RM800,000
Govt hopes opposition MPs will support bill to limit PM’s tenure
Admission to public higher education remains based on SPM, says Zambry
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in several states until 7pm (May 19)
Higher education outreach programme to be expanded nationwide, says Zambry
Terengganu water utility loses RM200mil annualy to non-revenue water
Study needed before any domestic violence act amendments, says Nancy
GSF 2.0: 10 vessels press on towards Gaza
Papagomo found liable for defaming Guan Eng and son
Malaysia needs future-ready immigration system to counter global threats, says Saifuddin

Others Also Read