Extradited Captain Praba gang suspects to be charged today


PETALING JAYA: The three suspected members of the Captain Praba gang who were extradited from India will be charged on Wednesday (Jan 28), Bukit Aman says.

In a statement, Criminal Investigation Department director Comm Datuk M. Kumar confirmed the arrest and extradition of the three suspects today.

"All three were detained following warrants of arrest issued by the Sepang Sessions Court on Jan 14.

"Their arrests were made with the cooperation and assistance of local authorities in Mumbai, India, (and the) suspects were brought back to Malaysia," he said, adding that the three will be charged in Sepang.

ALSO READ: Praba Gang trio detained 

The three men are believed to be among the main targets of "Ops Jack Sparrow", a large-scale operation conducted by the CID in September.

During the operation, police arrested 17 members of the organised crime group in several states.

Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail had said the arrests were made on Sept 11 in Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Penang and Perak.

The gang is believed to have been active since 2023, with a total membership of 33.

ALSO READ: Three Captain Praba gang members back in Malaysia

A suspect known as "Captain Praba" has been identified as the group’s leader.

Those arrested in September, aged 19 to 44, are suspected of involvement in violent crime including murder, armed assault, gang robbery and arson.

Action against the gang was prompted by an attack in Taman Sentosa, Klang, early last year in which a man was assaulted by a group armed with firearms and machetes; as well as the murder of a man at a restaurant in Brickfields in the middle of last year, in addition to several other cases linked to organised crime.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two Malaysians detained in Thailand, illicit narcotics seized
First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation

Others Also Read