SRC lawsuit: Najib concedes RM42mil was not Saudi donation


KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak today conceded in the High Court here that the RM42mil deposited into his personal bank accounts was unrelated to any Saudi donation.

The former prime minister made this admission under cross-examination by SRC International Sdn Bhd’s counsel, Kwan Will Sen, as part of the RM42mil civil suit filed against him by SRC and its subsidiary, Gandingan Mentari Sdn Bhd.

"At that particular time, I thought it was a Saudi donation,” said Najib.

Kwan: The truth in your mind – if I can use those words – at this moment, is that the RM42mil has nothing to do with the Saudi donation?

Najib: Based on subsequent knowledge, yes.

Earlier, Kwan asked Najib to acknowledge that his "Saudi donation" defence had been comprehensively dismissed by the courts in the related criminal proceedings.

Kwan: Your defence (Saudi donation) was rejected by all levels of the courts (in the SRC International criminal case). Is that correct?

Najib: Yes, but I have to clarify because I didn’t have the opportunity to do a full explanation at the Federal Court. That’s why in the review, one of the judges – a senior judge – agreed with our position. During the review, he concluded I didn’t get a fair trial.

Kwan: All said and done, the majority finding upheld the conclusion (that the funds were not a Saudi donation). That is correct, isn’t it?

Najib answered, “Yes, unfortunately, yes.”

Najib also acknowledged that the High Court, in its recent 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) verdicts, had ruled there was no documentary evidence to support his "Saudi donation" defence.

The 2021 civil suit, filed by SRC and Gandingan Mentari, seeks a declaration that Najib is liable for the RM42mil, as well as damages for knowing receipt, dishonest assistance, misfeasance in public office, and abuse of power.

The hearing before Justice Datuk Raja Ahmad Mohzanuddin Shah Raja Mohzan resumes on Friday (Jan 23). – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read