Court dismisses prosecution's appeal: Zayn Rayyan's father a free man


SHAH ALAM: Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matin's father, Zaim Ikhwan Zahari, 31, remains a free man after the High Court today dismissed the prosecution’s appeal against his acquittal on the charge of neglecting the six-year-old autistic child to the point of causing physical harm to the boy three years ago.

Lawyer Haresh Mahadevan, representing Zaim Ikhwan, said this follows the prosecution’s withdrawal of its appeal against the decision of the Petaling Jaya Sessions Court last year in acquitting and discharging his client.

"The prosecution informed the High Court Judge that they had filed a Notice of Withdrawal of Appeal this morning and did not wish to proceed with the appeal... The High Court Judge subsequently dismissed the public prosecutor's appeal," he said when contacted.

The proceedings before Judge Suriyati Hasimah Mohd Hashim today were attended by Deputy Public Prosecutor Ainul Mardiyah Mohd Ali, while Zaim Ikhwan was represented by Haresh and lawyer Ramzani Idris.

ALSO READ: Zayn Rayyan's dad blows his top at cops as wife gets sent to jail

On July 21 last year, Sessions Court Judge Dr Syahliza Warnoh acquitted and discharged Zaim Ikhwan after finding that the prosecution failed to prove a prima facie case against him.

However, the court ordered Zayn Rayyan's mother, Ismanira Abdul Manaf, 30, to enter her defence on the same charge.

Zaim Ikhwan and Ismanira were charged with neglecting Zayn Rayyan in a manner likely to cause physical harm to the victim in the vicinity of ​​Block R, Idaman Apartment, Damansara Damai, up to the nearby river area between noon on Dec 5 and 9.55pm on Dec 6, 2023.

They were charged under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, read with Section 34 of the Penal Code, which provides a maximum sentence of 20 years imprisonment or a fine of RM50,000 or both, if convicted.

On Oct 31 last year, Syahliza found Ismanira, 31, guilty and sentenced her to five years in prison. She ordered the woman to be sent to the Kajang Women's Prison immediately after rejecting her application to stay the sentence pending an appeal at the High Court. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
court , acquitted , discharged , appeal , dismissed , withdraw

Next In Nation

Water supply in dams well under control, says SPAN as El Nino heralds dry months ahead
KL, Manila discuss expediting repatriation of over 5,000 immigration detainees in Sabah
Lawyer files bid to add RCI report as fresh evidence in Dr M’s Pulau Batu Puteh hearing
FashionValet received RM19.6mil from Khazanah in 2018, court told
Cop jailed eight years for drunk driving, fined RM40,000
Home Ministry to submit refugee data by year-end
Ex-Sabah hospital director seeks fairness over transfer in sexual harassment probe
Roof of science lab at Kuala Pilah school collapses
Melaka CM a 'great friend' of mine, says Saifuddin as he stays coy on possible BN-PH tie-up for state polls
Penang Customs seizes about RM2.5mil worth of illicit ciggies, booze in three separate raids

Others Also Read