MACC records ex-minister's statement over alleged RM5 million bribe, supercar


PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has recorded a statement from a former minister suspected of receiving bribes amounting to about RM5mil and a luxury supercar in connection with billboard projects and land transfers.

Sources said the former minister went to the MACC headquarters in Putrajaya on Monday (Dec 29) to assist with the ongoing investigation.

“Based on information received, the former minister is believed to have received about RM5mil from a property development company, while a luxury supercar allegedly came from a billboard company,” the source said.

Sources added that investigations are currently being intensified to trace the source and ownership of the luxury vehicle.

For the land-related case, preliminary investigations found that several plots of land previously gazetted for the construction of surau were transferred to a proxy company.

"So far, the MACC has recorded the statements of 16 witnesses, including government officers and company owners, to assist in the investigations of both cases," the source said.

MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki confirmed that an investigation paper has been opened under Section 16 of the MACC Act 2009 regarding the alleged bribery involving the former minister.

"At this stage, no asset seizures or account freezes have been carried out,” he said.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
MACC , Minister , Statement , Bribe , Supercar , Azam Baki , Questioning

Next In Nation

Former investment bank CEO, two others expected to face charges under MACC Act
Police arrest man who doused woman with petrol, set her on fire
KPDN busts syndicate repackaging subsidised cooking oil as prayer oil
Two KPDN personnel injured during LPG enforcement operation
Cambodia and Malaysia reaffirm army-to-army cooperation
No DAP partnership in Melaka polls or I walk, warns Akmal Saleh
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in seven states until 9pm (Aug 18)
Three foreigners nabbed for burglary
Two nabbed in Kulai for putting up Jalur Gemilang, Johor flag upside down
Former 1MDB CEO denies treating Jho Low ‘as prime minister’

Others Also Read