Najib's donation not the same money seized by MACC in 2019, says SUPP


Datuk Seri Najib Razak - file pic

SIBU: The Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP) has re-emphasised that the RMRM188,132.26 seized by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission has no connection with a donation it received from the then Barisan Nasional chairman Datuk Seri Najib Razak before 2013.

In a statement on Sunday (Dec 28), SUPP said political parties in Malaysia, including SUPP, relied on donations from members, the public and, at times, contributions from coalition partners to fund their operations.

It reiterated that the matter had been fully investigated and resolved through the courts.

SUPP explained that the donation in question was received before 2013, well before any court findings involving the former prime minister and 1MDB.

The statement was issued to clarify on a Facebook post by Pending assemblywoman Violet Yong on Saturday (Dec 27) who had asked SUPP to return the RM1mil that was received from Najib.

The party said that in 2019, more than six years after the donation had been used up, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) issued a notice to forfeit RM188,132.26 from SUPP’s bank account.

The party said MACC conducted investigations, interviewed relevant parties and was provided with all documents requested to support SUPP’s position that the seized funds and pre-2013 donation were not related.

In July 2020, the High Court dismissed MACC’s application after it failed to prove that the funds were linked to 1MDB. MACC later filed an appeal to the Court of Appeal but eventually withdrew it after several postponements," the party added.

SUPP said the outcome of the case and the reasons for its dismissal were widely reported at the time, and that leaders from Sarawak DAP were fully aware of the court’s decision and the facts surrounding the case.

The party expressed disappointment that the issue has been raised again, accusing certain parties of attempting to revive an old and settled matter for political gain and of confusing the public over events that occurred more than six years ago.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read