Police yet to be deployed at KL courts


Beware: Notices cautioning the public against touts have been set up outside the bail counter and at the Legal Aid Foundation’s office.

PETALING JAYA: In October, the authorities decided that police personnel would be stationed at the Kuala Lumpur Courts Complex to stop touts.

As of last week, it appears that the People’s Volunteer Corps (Rela) are still the ones carrying out security duties there.

During a recent visit to the Kuala Lumpur Courts Complex, The Star found that Rela officers were still stationed at the courthouse’s entrance and at the bail counter area.

There was no police presence.

A security personnel said a circular from the Office of the Chief Registrar of the Federal Court had stated that police officers would be deployed on a rotational basis, but the arrangement has yet to be implemented.

“We are aware of the circular, but it has not started yet. Rela officers are still handling security duties,” he said.

In a letter to the media recently, the Office of the Chief Registrar said the decision was made during a discussion with the Kuala Lumpur court branch police on Oct 8, with police personnel supposed to be assigned to every court within the complex.

This was part of efforts to curb alleged touting activities, some even involving lawyers.

A complaint was received on Sept 22 alleging the presence of touting activities involving lawyers and certain individuals at the courts complex.

Notices cautioning the public against touts have been set up outside the bail counter and at the Legal Aid Foundation’s office or Yayasan Bantuan Guaman Kebangsaan.

A lawyer said touts usually roam around the courthouse or at bail counters.

“You can see many of them in the morning and at every floor. Sometimes, they are lined up waiting (for a potential customer),” he said.

He proposed that security be tightened with each individual giving their details and purpose of visit before being granted entry into the complex.

Security officers would then be able to vet whether an individual entering the courts complex is a bail tout or someone acting on behalf of lawyers and law firms.

The Star reported on Aug 9 that touts were charging RM500 for so-called paperwork for the bail process, which is actually free.

On Oct 2, it was found that touting was still rampant in court corridors although the courts have moved to cashless payments to curb the touts, who prey on families desperate for quick fixes to legal woes.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read