Northeast Monsoon: Penang Bomba identifies six landslide hotspots


BATU KAWAN: The Penang Fire and Rescue Department has identified six landslide hotspots in the state and stepped up monitoring of high-risk areas, especially throughout the Northeast Monsoon (MTL) season.

Its director, Mohamad Shoki Hamzah, said the six landslide hotspots are in the Seberang Perai Tengah, Barat Daya (Southwest) and Timur Laut (Northeast) districts.

"Based on our experience, whenever it rains, we not only have to deal with floods, but also other emergencies like fallen trees, landslides and so on. For example, if we look at previous rainy seasons, there were landslides in the Balik Pulau and Paya Terubong areas in the Barat Daya district.

"In 2018, there were landslides in Paya Terubong. So, we now pay serious attention because in the 2018 tragedy, many were killed,” he said.

He said this after the state-level ceremony of the Fire Department's handing over of community boats and the inspection of assets ahead of the MTL season, which was officiated by state Local Government, Rural and Town Planning Committee chairman H'ng Mooi Lye at the state Fire and Rescue Department headquarters here on Thursday (Nov 6).

Shoki said the department was fully prepared to face the MTL season, with 1,699 personnel members on standby, including auxiliary and volunteer firefighters.

"Currently, all parties are facing a new reality of extreme weather conditions, rainfall that is hard to forecast and the rising risks of disasters,” he said.

He said the department has received 11 calls related to flood cases, five on landslides and 41 on fallen trees since early October, adding that he expects the number of calls to increase by 18 per cent compared to last year's MTL season. 

Meanwhile, H'ng said the state government has also implemented 14 major flood mitigation projects statewide, costing a total of RM1bil, in stages and jointly funded by the state and federal governments.

He added that they included the Sungai Pinang flood mitigation project, the mitigation project in Sungai Kechil and the flood mitigation projects in Bayan Lepas and Air Itam, which are all expected to significantly reduce the risk of recurring floods, especially in areas that are often affected during the MTL season.

Speaking about today's ceremony, H’ng said 10 boats worth RM120,000 were handed over to 10 Community Fire Brigades, who have undergone intensive training in terms of boat control, water rescue techniques and emergency management.- Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man crashes car into Ipoh entertainment outlet
66 evacuated in Beaufort due to floods
Zara Qairina inquest: Victim claimed she was harassed by ‘tomboy’ student
Six nabbed for murder in Ipoh
BM remains official language for patient records, says Health Dept
Selangor Opposition wants Seri Kembangan rep to apologise over remarks, backs Selangor Ruler’s decree
State Umno supports Selangor Sultan's call to uphold Rukun Negara
New Malaysian passport to be issued from June 1, features 94 security elements
Over 19,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2026
GSF2.0: 25 Malaysians among those detained by Israeli military

Others Also Read