Fadhlina inspects flood preparedness of Kedah schools


ALOR SETAR: The Education Ministry is working to ensure that schools' preparedness for disasters is at the best level and that the safety aspects of students, teachers and all education staff are maintained.

The Ministry, in a statement Thursday (Oct 30), said Education Minister Fadhlina Sidek had held a one-day working visit to Kedah to review preparations for the Northeast Monsoon (MTL) phenomenon and possible flood disasters.

"The Education Minister chaired a coordination meeting to prepare for the MTL together with the top management of the Kedah Education Department and district education officers.

"Preparations also included the need to conduct the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examination in flood situations. This includes districts and schools at risk of flooding as well as students and teachers who may be affected," it said.

According to the ministry, Fadhlina also inspected preparations at SMK Tunku Abdul Malik, here, which will be used as a placement centre for SPM candidates during flood situations.

Fadhlina also visited flood-affected victims at SK Titi Haji Idris, Pendang, which has been used as a temporary relief centre (PPS).

As of Thursday evening, a total of 128 victims are still being housed at the PPS.

Meanwhile, SMK Tunku Abdul Malik principal Faridah Derani, when met by reporters, said the school's hostel had been vacated to make way for SPM candidates affected by the floods to stay during the examination period.

"A total of 74 SPM candidates at this school are expected to be affected by the floods, so according to the standard operating procedure (SOP), we will vacate this hostel for their convenience.

"In addition, this school will also accept 45 candidates from SMK Alor Merah who will also sit for the SPM examination," she said.

According to her, during that period, home-based teaching and learning (PdPR) will be implemented for Form One to Four students at SMK Tunku Abdul Malik.

Meanwhile, the Kedah Disaster Management Committee Secretariat announced that as of 4pm today, a total of 665 flood victims were still being housed in four PPS in the Kota Setar and Pendang districts. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Admission to public higher education remains based on SPM, says Zambry
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in several states until 7pm (May 19)
Higher education outreach programme to be expanded nationwide, says Zambry
Terengganu water utility loses RM200mil annualy to non-revenue water
Study needed before any domestic violence act amendments, says Nancy
GSF 2.0: 10 vessels press on towards Gaza
Papagomo found liable for defaming Guan Eng and son
Malaysia needs future-ready immigration system to counter global threats, says Saifuddin
Report lodged over alleged press harassment at Pakatan convention, says Johor Media Club
Home Ministry to table Bidor special refugee centre report to Cabinet

Others Also Read