Miri businessman loses RM165,750 to investment scam syndicate


KUCHING: A businessman from Miri lost RM165,750 after being scammed by a fake investment syndicate operating through an online application.

Miri OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Farhan Lee Abdullah said the victim, a man in his early 40s, was first contacted via WhatsApp by an unknown woman on Sept 23, asking whether the victim's car had been repaired.

He said the suspect later claimed she had contacted the wrong person, but continued the conversation and eventually offered a business investment opportunity through the application.

"The app was allegedly designed to serve as a platform for buying and selling various goods, where the victim was allegedly provided with his own store within the app.

"The victim was required to make payments to suppliers for each order he received," he said in a statement on Tuesday (Oct 7).

Attracted by the offer, the victim made 18 transactions to four different bank accounts, amounting to RM165,750, purportedly as payments for orders.

ACP Mohd Farhan said the victim only realised he had been duped after failing to withdraw the profits promised by the suspect.

The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property. — Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Scam , Investment , Online , Businessman , Miri

Next In Nation

Region faces youth jobs crunch: World Bank
INTERACTIVE: Young workers’ share in labour force declining
INTERACTIVE: Wages lag for young workers
Remote navigation to guide planes
No Malaysians affected by attacks in Thailand
Fahmi: Budget 2027 to focus on�cost-of-living issues
‘Probe, but don’t humiliate’
Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'

Others Also Read