Family of Wan Ahmad Faris submits memorandum to state govt, seeking justice for his death


KOTA BHARU: The family of the late Wan Ahmad Faris Wan Abdul Rahman, a Form Four tahfiz student who was found hanged in a school toilet in December 2013, on Monday (Sept 1) submitted a memorandum to the Kelantan government at the Kota Darul Naim Complex.

The memorandum was handed over by Ali Hanafiah Mohamed, a representative of the family, to Mohd Anas Ridzuan Shamsuddin, who represented the chairman of the State Education, Higher Education, Green Technology, Digital, and Innovation Committee, Datuk Wan Roslan Wan Hamat.

Ali Hanafiah, when met by the media, stated that the memorandum contained three main demands, including an explanation as to why the school toilet—the site of the incident—was demolished before the investigation had been concluded.

"We are also calling for transparency in school security measures, including clarification of follow-up actions taken regarding the fight that occurred before the tragedy.

"In addition, we urge the state government and the Kelantan Islamic Foundation to demonstrate their commitment by ensuring that relevant information is made public, and to allow space for this case to be brought to court if necessary," he told reporters at the Kota Darul Naim Complex here.

Also present were the parents of the deceased, Wan Abdul Rahman Wan Yaacob and Ruhani Hussin, along with a few family members.

On Aug 20 this year, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail confirmed that the Royal Malaysia Police would reopen investigations into the death of the tahfiz student.

In December 2013, Wan Ahmad Faris was found hanging in the toilet of the Maahad Tahfiz Sains Nurul Aman dormitory in Kok Lanas.

His body was reportedly found by the dormitory supervisor after smelling a foul odour from the toilet.

The forensic expert who conducted an autopsy on Wan Ahmad Faris' body confirmed the case as a sudden death and had no connection to criminal elements.

However, the Coroner's Court in June 2016 ruled that the student was murdered. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read