SUBANG JAYA: A total of 198 illegal immigrants were detained during an Immigration Department raid at a construction workers' quarters in USJ 23 here early Saturday (Aug 22).
Some of those attempting to evade the raid fled into a nearby mining area, with several later detained after being persuaded to surrender, Sinar Harian reported.
The raid, which began at about 1.55am, was conducted by the Selangor and Putrajaya Immigration departments with the National Registration Department, National Anti-Drug Agency and Civil Defence Force.
The operation turned chaotic when several occupants fled during checks, with some running into the mining area despite wearing only sarongs.
Some were also found hiding under beds in an attempt to avoid detention.
Selangor Immigration deputy director (Control) Mohmad Khusairi Kamarudin said 385 individuals were checked during the operation, with 198 detained for various immigration offences.
"The detainees, aged 18 to 50, comprised 20 Indonesians, 148 Bangladeshis, 28 Myanmar nationals, and one each from Nepal and Pakistan," he said.
He said the offences included failing to possess valid identification documents, breaching the conditions of their passes and overstaying.
Checks found that the two-storey quarters were in an untidy and cluttered condition, with electrical connections suspected to be hazardous. The premises also housed a sundry shop, kitchen and canteen.
A woman in her 40s from Indonesia, who was among those detained, told Sinar Harian that she had been living there and working as a house cleaner.
"I am paid RM55 a day and have been working here for about a year.
"I came to Malaysia by air using my passport, but it has now expired," she was quoted as saying.
Mohmad Khusairi said enforcement operations would continue to identify, arrest, prosecute and deport foreigners who violated the country's laws.
He also reminded the public and employers not to harbour illegal immigrants or face legal action.
"Those with information on illegal immigrants or information that could assist the Immigration Department in its enforcement efforts are urged to come forward," he said.
The case is being investigated under the Immigration Act 1959/63 and Immigration Regulations 1963.
