No casualties reported after mild earthquake hits Segamat


JOHOR BARU: No casualties or property damage have been reported after a mild earthquake measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale struck Segamat early on Sunday (Aug 24) morning.

Segamat District Disaster Management Committee chairman Mohd Ezzuddin Sanusi said the quake was recorded at 6.13 am, with the epicentre about 5km west of the district at a depth of 10km.

ALSO READAnother earthquake hits Kluang, no casualties reported

"Residents in Segamat and nearby areas reported feeling the tremor, which was also experienced in parts of Johor, Negri Sembilan, Melaka and southern Pahang," he said in a statement.

Earlier, Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi said he had been briefed by Mohd Ezzuddin that the situation was under control.

ALSO READSegamat quake triggers panic among residents

"So far, there have been no reports of loss of life or property damage. The state government is closely monitoring the situation with relevant agencies," he said.

He also advised residents to remain cautious.

ALSO READTremors from Segamat quake felt in Melaka, other states 

"My advice to the public is to stay away from unsafe structures and remain alert to instructions from the authorities. Let us pray that Johor and the country are always protected from disasters," he added.

The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) confirmed the quake and said it would continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates as necessary.

ALSO READ: Mild earthquake struck Segamat in Johor

The Segamat District Office, which chairs the disaster management committee, urged the public to stay calm and avoid spreading unverified information.

Residents are encouraged to report any emergencies to the authorities and follow updates from official sources such as MetMalaysia.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang

Others Also Read