Johor govt urges caution following Segamat quake


JOHOR BARU: The Johor government has urged the public to stay away from unsafe structures and remain alert to instructions from the authorities following the earthquake detected in Segamat at 6.13am on Sunday (Aug 24).

Mentri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi said he had contacted Segamat district officer Mohd Ezzuddin Sanusi, who confirmed that no casualties or property damage had been reported so far.

"The state government is monitoring the situation closely with the relevant agencies. My advice to the people is to avoid weak structures and always heed instructions from the authorities.

"The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) will continue to carry out close monitoring and provide updates from time to time,” he said in a Facebook post on Sunday morning.

Onn Hafiz also called on the public to pray for Johor and the country to be spared from disasters.

Meanwhile, State Health and Environment Committee chairman Ling Tian Soon said MetMalaysia had issued a statement on the incident.

He said the 4.1-magnitude quake was felt in many parts of Johor, Melaka, Negeri Sembilan and southern Pahang. - Bernama 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang
Malaysia, Brunei agree to use Asean mechanism to tackle transboundary haze
Education Ministry approves RM2mil for immediate repairs for collapsed SMK Juasseh roof

Others Also Read