Immigration raid of Petaling Jaya restaurant and bar leads to arrests


PETALING JAYA: An immigration raid at a restaurant and bar here led to the arrest of 11 foreigners.

The operation on Friday (August 1) followed a week-long surveillance and public complaints.

"During the raid, all foreigners at the premises attempted to flee and hide to avoid capture. Around 20 people were inspected, and 11 Sri Lankans, including nine women and two men, were caught," the Immigration Department said in a statement on Saturday (Aug 2).

Checks showed that none of those caught were victims of human trafficking, based on the National Guideline on Human Trafficking Indicators (NGHTI) 2.0.

"Preliminary investigations showed no signs of exploitation towards the women, and no offences under the Atipsom Act 2007 were identified.

"All the women arrested were between 20 and 33 years old and had worked at the premises for around a year with a pay of RM2,000 a month. Based on their verbal confessions, almost all passports were held by their employer before they were allowed to work there.

"The modus operandi showed that the Sri Lankan women were hired as servers to entertain customers," it said.

Checks also showed that the premises had been raided multiple times in the past, with action taken by the authorities. However, operations continued.

"All those arrested have been brought to the KLIA depot for further investigations and action," it said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Traffic slows on major highways heading to KL after CNY, early Ramadan break
Body of teenage boy feared drowned in Sungai Tengah found
Man claiming to be a prophet arrested in Rawang
Ministry sec-gen among several witnesses to be called in probe over RM1.1bil agreement
STPM candidates evacuated from flood-hit villages in Paitan
Missing angler in Pontian identified as 56YO subcontractor
GOF: RM3.37mil in e-waste seized in Seberang Prai raid
PAS spiritual leader Hashim Jasin in ICU at Penang Hospital after stent procedure
JPJ issues 456 notices in CNY motorcycle operation at Sentul Pasar toll
RM3.5mil lost to love scams in January 2026, says cops

Others Also Read