KLANG: The Road Transport Department (JPJ) has issued a total of 1,194 summonses to bus drivers and passengers nationwide under the special operation on seat belt use, which began on July 1.
JPJ director-general Datuk Aedy Fadly Ramli said of the total, 1,108 summonses were issued to passengers and 62 to drivers, with 24 cases involving the failure to install seat belts.
He said among the reasons offenders gave was that they were unaware seat belt use was mandatory and enforcement had already been gazetted.
"This excuse is unacceptable. Most bus operators and drivers have either made announcements or displayed notices reminding passengers to wear seat belts," he said at a press conference after visiting the Pioneer Coachbuilder Sdn Bhd bus body manufacturing plant in Telok Gong here on Wednesday (July 23).
Aedy Fadly added that tourists or non-citizens would not be exempted from action under existing provisions if they do not wear seat belts on buses.
However, he noted that overall compliance with seat belt use on express and tour buses had improved, thanks to steps taken by bus operators to remind passengers.
"Overall, we are seeing an increase in compliance and passengers are beginning to better understand the importance of wearing seat belts," he said. – Bernama
