Over 380,000 people affected by autogate glitch at BSI CIQ Complex


SEPANG: Over 380,000 foreign travellers were affected at the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex (BSI CIQ) over two days due to the technical issue that disrupted autogate systems.

Malaysian Border Control and Protection (AKPS) Director-General Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said at a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport Terminal One that as of last night, all affected systems have been restored.

"As we speak, everything is already up and running. 100%. We deeply regret this incident occurred. The MyIMMS system, which should have been integrated with an international authoritative body, had connection issues causing delays in the checking process," he said.

He added on Sunday (July 20) that the root cause is being investigated from all angles, including the possibility of a cyber attack.

"At this time, we do not think so, and I do not want to create any perception that could worsen the situation. For now, let us do our work to find out what happened," he said.

When asked if any action plans will be implemented for future issues, Comm Shuhaily said they were limited to the current infrastructure.

"The most we can do is open all manual lanes. One method we implemented in Johor was to inform everyone about issues so they can better plan or postpone their travels.

"That's the best we can do to reduce the volume of people entering the country," he said.

Previously, long queues were reported at all major entry points nationwide after tens of thousands of foreigners were unable to use the autogate facility.

However, Malaysian passport holders can use the autogates without any issues.

The AKPS on Saturday said a data integration issue caused the disruption.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read