Third BSI pedestrian route proposal stalls


Unfortunate closure: Pedestrians were forced to walk 1.5km further after the shortcut was closed during the Covid-19 pandemic.

JOHOR BARU: Johor’s proposal to open up a third route for pedestrians into the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex (BSI CIQ) has hit a stumbling block due to security concerns.

Johor works, transportation, infrastructure and communication committee chairman Mohamad Fazli Mohamad Salleh said there was still no decision about the matter, although the proposal had been brought up by the special committee to tackle the Johor Causeway congestion.

“The feedback we received was regarding security concerns – that is the main challenge we face.

“The (government) agencies in charge of security have yet to agree to the reopening of the third route, but negotiations are ongoing with the Home Ministry,” he said after launching a new park and ride bus service between Country Garden Danga Bay and BSI CIQ here yesterday.

The Star previously reported that pedestrians, including senior citizens and pregnant women, had requested the reopening of the shortcut.

At present, the two existing access routes to the BSI CIQ are along Jalan Jim Quee and Jalan Tun Razak.

The shortcut, located near Hako Hotel along Jalan Lingkaran Dalam here, made it easier for pedestrians to walk to the BSI CIQ, but this route was closed off during the Covid-19 pandemic, forcing pedestrians to walk about 1.5km further to enter the immigration clearance area.

A study conducted by the Johor Public Transport Corporation found more than 10,000 people had used the shortcut before it was closed.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read