Over 37 tonnes of e-waste seized in Port Klang by AKPS


PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency (AKPS) has intercepted 37,028kg of electronic waste (e-waste) at West Port, Port Klang, after two shipping containers were found to have entered the country using false customs declarations.

Port Klang AKPS commander Deputy Comm Datuk Nik Ezanee Mohd Faisal said the seizure was made during a physical inspection conducted at about 9am on Friday (Feb 20).

He said the inspection involved six containers that had earlier been detained by container scanning officers.

“The operation was conducted with the assistance of the Customs Control Unit (CCU) of the Royal Malaysian Customs Department, SIRIM, the Port Klang Authority and the Selangor Department of Environment (DOE),” he said.

DCP Nik Ezanee said two of the containers were found to be loaded with e-waste.

“One container carried 14,832kg of discarded electronic items, including remote controls, keyboards, credit card machines and CPUs, while the other contained 22,196kg of used printers and receipt printing machines,” he said.

He added that investigations revealed the containers had entered Malaysia in Dec 2025 and Feb 2026 by falsifying declarations in the Customs Information System.

“One shipment was declared as ABS plastic flakes, while the other was declared as industrial machinery,” he said.

Importation of scheduled waste is strictly prohibited under the Environmental Quality Act 1974.

DCP Nik Ezanee said the seized containers would be placed in a secure area pending further notice from the Selangor DOE and DOE headquarters for re-export procedures.

“AKPS will continue to intensify inspections on containers suspected of carrying prohibited waste. We remain committed to strengthening enforcement at the nation’s entry points to safeguard border security and national interests, further inspections are ongoing,” he said.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read