Security concerns an issue in reopening shortcut to BSI CIQ, says Johor exco man


JOHOR BARU: Discussions to reopen a shortcut as a third route for pedestrians to access the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex (BSI CIQ) are ongoing, says a Johor executive councillor.

Works, transportation, infrastructure and communication committee chairman Mohamad Fazli Mohamad Salleh said a final decision on the matter has yet to be made owing to concerns about security.

ALSO READ: Gazette shortcut to CIQ as third entrance, says rep

“We have brought the proposal to revive the shortcut to the special committee to tackle Causeway congestion.

“The feedback we received was regarding security concerns – that is the main challenge,” he said when asked for an update on the shortcut after an event here on Tuesday (Nov 5).

He added that discussions are ongoing with the Home Ministry and "we hope the matter can be concluded within the next few months."

The Star previously highlighted that pedestrians, including pregnant women and senior citizens, had asked for the shortcut near Hako Hotel along Jalan Lingkaran Dalam here to be reopened.

ALSO READ: Two-month trial run for CIQ shortcut

The existing two access routes to the BSI CIQ are along Jalan Jim Quee and Jalan Tun Razak.

The shortcut, which was previously opened before the Covid-19 pandemic, made it easier for pedestrians to get to the BSI CIQ.

However, the Home Ministry closed the route during the pandemic for security reasons.

This forced pedestrians to walk about 1.5km around the building to enter the Immigration clearance area.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read