No more highway anxiety during long bus trips


Safety first on board: A passenger buckling up on the bus, with a sign reminding all on board to wear seat belts. — CHAN BOON KAI/The Star

GEORGE TOWN: Mandating the use of seat belts in express and tour buses will enhance the safety of passengers and reduce the impact of accidents, especially serious injuries.

Housewife M. Kalpana, 52, who frequently travels from Penang to Johor to visit her children, said she often felt anxious during long- distance trips.

“There are times when buses speed along the highway, and I get worried. At that speed and with the weight of the buses, any accident would be catastrophic, so safety measures are needed.

“I support using seat belts, and all the buses I had taken recently had them. But if drivers maintain a moderate and safe speed, many accidents can be prevented,” she said at the Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal here yesterday.

Engineer Alvin Wong, 52, shared a similar view and was glad that bus companies had generally been accommodating when he requested a seat change due to faulty seat belts.

“It may not be realistic for ­dri­vers to ensure every passenger is buckled up, so it’s really up to us to take responsibility for our own safety.

“There have been times when the bus had to brake suddenly. That’s normal, just like when we drive. But having a seat belt helps keep us in place and prevents us from being thrown around during a sudden halt or collision,” he said.

As bus operators rush to comply with the new ruling, many are appealing for a grace period bef­ore enforcement is carried out.

Edward Lim, 45, owner of Billion Stars Express which has over 100 buses in its fleet, said the regulation, while important, was introduced rather suddenly.

“We support the move to enhan­ce safety but the implementation came quite abruptly. There’s a shortage of seat belts in the market and some suppliers are char­ging twice the usual price.

“We even have to order them from overseas. It’s just not feasible for all buses to be ready in time to install seat belts,” he said.

Lim added that since most of their buses had already passed Puspakom inspections, a reasonable transition period should be granted.

“If the authorities want to enforce this, they should begin with newer buses, such as those registered after 2020, as they were already required to have seat belts. Older buses need more time for installation,” he said.

Kuala Lumpur/Selangor Bumi­putera School Bus Operators Asso­ciation deputy chairman Wan Muhammad Nor Wan Abdullah agreed that seat belts boost safety and public confidence.

However, he urged that passengers cooperate when travelling.

“Drivers and operators can remind passengers to wear their seat belts, but many do not comply and we cannot enforce it ourselves. Thankfully, awareness is improving and some schools now only charter buses that are fitted with seat belts,” he said.

Wan Muhammad, who also manages Right Vision Travel with 15 tour buses, said 12 of his vehicles already have seat belts ins­talled.

“These are newer buses, purchased after 2015. For the older ones, we are currently retrofitting them with seat belts, which cost over RM100 per seat,” he said.

Asked if buses could be fitted with sensors or buzzers to alert drivers when seat belts are unbuc­k­led, such as in passenger planes, Wan Muhammad said cost remains a major barrier.

“Although it is effective, it is expensive to install such systems in existing buses since they require additional electronics and sensors.

“In future, I hope coach builders include seat belts and related technology as standard,” he said.

In line with the ruling effective July 1, the Road Transport Dep­art­ment (JPJ) launched enforcement operations targeting both bus drivers and passengers who fail to comply.

The department is also considering expanding the mandatory seat belt requirement to include other categories of buses beyond express and tourist services.

JPJ director-general Datuk Aedy Fadly Ramli said that current enforcement efforts are focused on express and tour buses manufactured after January 2020, as these vehicles were already equipped with seat belts.

He said for other categories of public transport, JPJ will implement the directive in stages once the evaluation process is com­pleted.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Mandiri suing Muhammad Kamil over foreign funding claims
Motorcyclist killed in crash on Senai-Desaru Expressway
Malaysia condemns Israel's detention of GSF activists, says Anwar
Teen motorcyclist killed after crashing into MPV on NSE
Johor cops bust three syndicates, seize over RM4mil worth of drugs
Woman fined RM4,000 for social media post with false info on fuel prices
Eight Malaysians in GSF 2.0 detained by Israeli forces
Malaysia beckons aspiring students from India's southern region
Love, longing and distress: Inquest hears recorded conversations between Zara Qairina and mum
Cop linked to Langkawi drug syndicate transferred pending probe

Others Also Read