Gerik bus crash: Driver has 18 summonses, says Bukit Aman


KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 18 summonses have been issued against the bus driver transporting Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI) students involved in the fatal accident on the East-West Highway near Gerik, Perak on Monday (June 9).

Bukit Aman Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department Director Datuk Seri Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri stated that of the 18 summonses, 13 were for speeding offences.

He said that three other offences were for not wearing a seatbelt, while one offence each was for not having a third brake light and being involved in an accident.

"Investigations also found that the bus involved has a record of 21 summonses for traffic offences. However, 16 summons records against the bus have been settled, while the remaining five are still under investigation," he said on Tuesday (June 10).

Sinar Harian reported that the police would establish a special task force to investigate the accident involving the chartered bus for UPSI students.

Mohd Yusri had said earlier that the police would conduct a comprehensive investigation into the crash together with the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research, the Road Transport Department, the Land Public Transport Agency and relevant parties

"We will complete the investigation papers as soon as possible to charge the bus driver in court. We will investigate various aspects, including his offence record, background, activities, and career history," he said.

In the tragic incident on Monday, 15 UPSI students died and seven were seriously injured after the bus they were in overturned in an accident at 1.15am.

The bus carrying UPSI students was travelling from Jerteh, Terengganu and is believed to have lost control before colliding with the rear of a Perodua Alza.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Court sets Feb 22 to decide on Daim family's bid to challenge account seizures
Aliff Syukri wins bid to defer apology to Abdul Kadir Sheikh Fadzir
PERKESO calls on media to submit their best work for iLINDUNG Media Awards
Nepturis paid RM16mil for building Klang Utara police headquarters, court told
Divisions never submitted motion demanding chief to quit, says Gagasan women’s wing
Pahang police deny claims of drug cartel in highland resort
Govt targets 50% reduction in road accident deaths by 2030
Health Minister defends transfer of Sabah hospital director amid harassment probe
Court upholds septuagenarian's 15-year jail term, caning for raping 8-year-old girl
Dr M welcomes first great-grandchild

Others Also Read