Retiree swindled for sperm


KUALA LUMPUR: Having ignored warnings from the bank and police, a retiree lost RM161,000 after being lured by an online scam to become a sperm donor for a supposedly beautiful woman in Hong Kong.

The 57-year-old saw an advertisement on social media stating that the woman wanted to bear a child and that there would be a reward of HK$2mil (RM1.08mil) for the man chosen.

“I was communicating with a person claiming to be a lawyer for the woman who said he would formalise the agreement.

“I was told to make several payments, including RM10,000 for air tickets and RM30,000 for protection services for her,” the man told a press conference held by MCA Public Services and Com­plaints Department head Datuk Seri Michael Chong here yesterday.

The retiree, who identified himself as Tan, said he continued to make more payments, including to fly in doctors who would monitor him to ensure that the baby would be born healthy.

Serious business: Chong (left) speaking to the media during a press conference at Wisma MCA, Kuala Lumpur. — MUHAMAD SHAHRIL ROSLI/The Star
Serious business: Chong (left) speaking to the media during a press conference at Wisma MCA, Kuala Lumpur. — MUHAMAD SHAHRIL ROSLI/The Star

In total, Tan parted with RM161,000 to the scammers before finally deciding to call off the “deal”, without even meeting the woman or so-called lawyer in person.

Chong said he was disappointed with Tan for being so gullible and falling for what was an outright scam.

“The bank officer called and asked to meet with him on the transactions as he suspected it was a scam.

“After meeting the bank officer and a policeman who told him the same thing, Tan continued to make payments to the scammer.

“The scammer told Tan to not be scared and that his payment was ready and even provided a screenshot of a cheque written out to him.

“Tan admits he had been utterly stupid to fall for this. He only hopes that others would not fall victim like him,” Chong said. 

Chong said he believed that the woman in the photos was also a victim with her details being used by scammers.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027

Others Also Read