Saudi imposes ban on pilgrims walking from Mecca to Arafah due to extreme heat


JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia has imposed a ban on pilgrims walking from Mecca to Arafah or have prolonged exposed to the sun during the "masyair" phase (June 5-9) as dangerously high temperatures are forecast.

The directive was issued by the Saudi Ministry of Haj and Umrah to avoid heatstroke or even deaths among pilgrims.

Pilgrims have also been advised against visiting popular religious sites such as Namirah Mosque and Jabal Rahmah between 10am and 4pm, typically the hottest hours of the day.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Religious Affairs) Datuk Dr Mohd Na'im Mokhtar said as an alternative, the Saudi government would enhance the transport system to ensure safe and smooth movement between key pilgrimage sites.

He was speaking to the Malaysian media after a meeting with Saudi Haj and Umrah Minister Dr Tawfiq Fawzan Al-Rabiah, at the Grand Haj Symposium here on Sunday (June 1).

The masyair phase is considered the peak phase of the haj. It involves the movement of millions of pilgrims over five days from Makkah to Arafah, Muzdalifah and Mina, from the 8th to the 12th of Zulhijjah (June 5-8).

Mohd Na'im said the new restrictions were designed to safeguard pilgrims' well-being, especially during the crucial "wukuf" ritual at Arafah, when pilgrims gather outdoors in prayer and reflection.

Saudi officials have urged haj authorities across the Muslim world to remind pilgrims to limit their exposure to direct sunlight during this period.

Officials have also reinforced regulations on the mandatory use of the Nusuk card, which functions as both an identity verification tool and a security pass. Entry to Masjidil Haram, Arafah, Muzdalifah or Mina will be strictly limited to cardholders.

"So far, no Malaysian pilgrims has been found in the Holy Land without valid permits," said Mohd Na'im.

He added that those found attempting to perform the haj without official approval would face firm action from Saudi authorities.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng
MCMC engages civil groups on online child safety and protection
Sabah private sector employers must take note of replacement holidays, says state Labour Dept
30-year prison sentence upheld for ex-Rela member who fatally shot friend
EC informed of vacancies of Pandan, Setiawangsa parliamentary seats, says Dewan Rakyat Speaker
Tony Pua under investigation for post on Malay Rulers, confirms Bukit Aman
MalaysiaNow chief editor questioned over report on clip involving Farhash
Elephant management cooperation cannot be terminated unilaterally, says Taiping Municipal Council
Customs launches nationwide F&B registration ops

Others Also Read