Melaka's top cop calls for statewide vape ban amid rising drug abuse among students


MELAKA: Melaka's top cop has proposed a statewide ban on vape sales amid rising drug abuse among students.

Deputy Comm Datuk Dzulkhairi Mukhtar said the call for the total ban on the sale of vape products follows growing concerns over the misuse of new synthetic drugs among schoolchildren.

"We are preparing a working paper on the matter to be presented to the state government.

"In addition to the social impact on students, the study will also consider various other factors, including the economic implications for traders," he said at a press conference at the state police headquarters in Bukit Beruang here to announce the successful bust of a drug trafficking syndicate on Tuesday (May 27).

DCP Dzulkhairi said that based on police findings, there had been an increase in cases involving drug-laced vape liquids among schoolchildren.

"There have been reports received on students becoming delirious and lying by the roadside and under trees after school,” he said.

Elaborating further, DCP Dzulkhairi said the proposal and the working paper on the proposed ban will align with recommendations made last month by Bukit Aman.

"We are concerned about the implications of vaping that affects not only adults but also students.

"It would eventually lead to social problems if not controlled," he added.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Melaka , Police , Vape , Ban , Statewide , Drug Abuse

Next In Nation

Border control seizes RM1.9mil in animal products
Elderly woman stabbed by daughter with can opener in Johol
Former footballer back in action with ‘air balang’ business
Hajiji urges flood victims�to prioritise safety
Anwar meets with Singapore PM
MMEA assures transparent probe into personnel misconduct
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah held nationwide
M’sia eyes stronger ties with new PM
Paitan hit hardest by floods�
Gen Z continues tradition

Others Also Read