High Court stays Najib's 'royal addendum' hearing pending disposal of AG's appeal


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here has allowed an application to stay all proceedings on the alleged royal addendum involving former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak on the matter of his house arrest.

“All proceedings are stayed pending the disposal of the appeal at the Federal Court,” Justice Hayatul Akmal Abdul Aziz said on Monday (April 28).

ALSO READ: Federal Court allows AG’s bid to challenge Najib’s ‘royal addendum’ document ruling 

This comes after the development at the Federal Court earlier, which granted Attorney General Datuk Mohd Dusuki Mokhtar’s application for leave to appeal against the judicial review on an alleged royal addendum filed by Najib last year.

Justice Hayatul also fixed July 3 for case management.

Najib filed the application for leave for judicial review on April 1 last year.

He named the Home Minister, the Commissioner General of Prisons, the Attorney General, the Federal Territories Pardons Board, the Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Law and Institutional Reform), director-general of legal affairs at the Prime Minister's Department, and the government as the first to seventh respondents, respectively.

ALSO READ: Questions posed by AG over Najib's additional document of public importance, court says 

In the notice of application, Najib sought a mandamus order for all respondents or one of them to verify the existence of the addendum order dated Jan 29 last year; and, if it does, all or one of the respondents must execute the royal order and move him from Kajang Prison to his residence in Kuala Lumpur to serve his remaining sentence under house arrest.

The 71-year-old is currently serving a jail term in the SRC International Sdn Bhd case.

On Jan 20, the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) applied for a gag order, citing that the case involved sensitive issues.

The gag order is against public discourse to stop prejudicial comments in the case and to ensure a fair trial.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Federal Territories PAS drafting manifesto 'drawn from the grassroots up'
No M'sians affected by southern Thailand violence, Wisma Putra confirms
Haze causing spike in asthma, upper respiratory illness cases, says Health Minister
Snakes were my brother's lifelong passion, says sister of late Civil Defence sergeant
Voters prioritise results over manifestos, slogans, says Mah
Scrap storage yard in Klang razed in fire
Melaka polls: Any tie-up with PH to be decided by BN top leadership, says Dr Wee
Anwar approves additional RM1mil for Hindu crematorium project in Bagan, says PHEB
GOF nabs four, seizes RM1.1mil worth of gold mining equipment
IIUM strips controversial academic of titles following April dismissal

Others Also Read