Court lets Muhyiddin visit family


Former PM gets permission to see sick sister-in-law in Australia

KUALA LUMPUR: The Sessions Court has allowed an application by Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin for the temporary release of his international passport for him to visit his sick sister-in-law in Australia.

Judge Azura Alwi granted the former prime minister’s application following a request from his lawyer Kee Wei Lon, which was not objected to by DPP Noralis Mat.

The judge said the passport, which was to be handed over to the applicant yesterday, must be returned to the court on May 20, Bernama reported.

The court had granted Muhyiddin’s application for the temporary release of his passport several times previously, including to attend his grandchild’s graduation ceremony and ­medical consultation in London, medical check-up in Singapore and opening of his friend’s restaurant in Thailand.

Day in court: Muhyiddin arriving at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex. — Bernama
Day in court: Muhyiddin arriving at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex. — Bernama

Muhyiddin, 77, in his capacity as then-prime minister and Bersatu president in 2020, is accused of abusing his position to solicit RM232.5mil in bribes rela­ted to the Jana Wibawa project from Bukhary Equity Sdn Bhd, Nepturis Sdn Bhd and Mamfor Sdn Bhd, as well as from Datuk Azman Yusoff, for the benefit of his political party.

The four abuse of power offences were allegedly committed at the Prime Minister’s Office between March 1, 2020 and Aug 20, 2021.

He is also facing two counts of receiving proceeds from unlawful activities amounting to RM195mil from Bukhary Equity that was deposited into Bersatu’s CIMB account at the Menara KL branch, between Feb 25 and July 16, 2021 and Feb 8 and July 8, 2022.

Muhyiddin was also charged in the Sessions Court in Shah Alam on March 13, 2023, with receiving money from illegal activities amounting to RM5mil.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

JPJ issues 456 notices in CNY motorcycle operation at Sentul Pasar toll
RM3.5mil lost to love scams in January 2026, says cops
Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations

Others Also Read