‘All funds went to Najib only’


PUTRAJAYA: A former investigating officer testified that millions of ringgit from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) were funnelled into the personal bank accounts of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, the High Court heard.

Retired police Senior Asst Comm R. Rajagopal said that based on his own investigation and those carried out by other enforcement agencies, the millions of ringgit from the company were found to have been transferred into Najib’s accounts while none had gone into the accounts of the company’s top management.

“Throughout the police investigation and also the information received from the special task force (which is also investigating the misappropriation of 1MDB funds), we have not received any evidence showing that Azmi Tahir (former 1MDB chief financial officer), Mohd Hazem Abdul Rah­man (former 1MDB CEO) and Datuk Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi (former 1MDB CEO) had received money from 1MDB funds compared to Najib,” the witness said yesterday.

Rajagopal, who is the 11th defen­ce witness, said this when cross-examined by deputy public prosecutor Mohamad Mustaffa P. Kunyalam at Najib’s trial for the alleged misappropriation of RM2.28bil in 1MDB funds.

The witness, who was also queried by DPP Ahmad Akram Gharib, disagreed with the prosecution’s suggestion that he did not make serious efforts to bring back Casey Tang for the purpose of recording his statement in June 2016.

Tang is a known close associate of fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low.

DPP Ahmad Akram: Jho Low is said to be close to Datuk Seri Najib. Was that why he was given preference not to be brought back?

Rajagopal: I don’t agree that he was given preference just because he was close to Datuk Seri Najib.

Ahmad Akram: Is it because you didn’t want to offend him (Najib)?

Rajagopal: I disagree. As an investigating officer, I had to follow a set of rules.

On Oct 30 last year, Najib was ordered by the High Court to enter his defence on four counts of using his position to obtain RM2.28bil gratification from 1MDB’s funds and 21 counts of money laundering involving the same amount.

The hearing continues before Justice Collin Lawrence Sequerah today.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
court , 1MDB , Najib Razak , investigation , R Rajagopal

Next In Nation

Two Malaysians detained in Thailand, illicit narcotics seized
First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation

Others Also Read