Veteran actor’s rented house destroyed in fire


Compiled by TARRENCE TAN and BEH YUEN HUI

THE rented house of 71-year-old veteran actor Nu’man Mohd Salleh, better known as Charlie, was destroyed in a fire on Tuesday, the second day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri.

According to Berita Harian, Charlie noticed the fire spreading at the back of his house when he was trying to get some water from the kitchen.

Charlie, along with his six children, had to be temporarily relocated to a shelter at the Gombak Setia Welfare Association Hall.

Charlie, who accepted a donation by the National Film Development Corporation chairman Datuk Hans Isaac, said he was grateful for the aid and that his children were not harmed.

> Celebrity chef Datuk Fazley Yaakob is celebrating this year’s Hari Raya Aidilfitri joyously despite being recently divorced from his wife Azrene Soraya Abdul Aziz in October last year. 

Berita Harian quoted Fazley as saying that this year marked the first time in 18 years that he was celebrating Raya alone.

“Even though we no longer live under the same roof, we ensure our children do not feel the impact of our separation.

“We still plan to return to our hometown together, and our Raya outfits are colour-coordinated. Azrene Soraya has also planned the menu. We discuss everything related to our children together.

“Being divorced does not mean we have to abandon all the traditions we practised during our 18 years together,” he said.

Fazley stressed the importance of explaining to their four children that he and Azrene Soraya can no longer share a room or meet in private places.

The above articles are compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a, it denotes a separate news item.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
other news and views

Next In Nation

Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read