Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel


PUTRAJAYA: Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commisioner Tan Sri Azam Baki has given his statement to the special committee investigating his ownership of 17.7 million shares bought for RM1.416mil in Velocity Capital Partner Bhd.

Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar said the Special Investigation Committee convened on Thursday (Feb 19) to record Azam's explanation about the shares.

"The committee is examining compliance and regulatory aspects related to the ownership and is assessing all evidence obtained thus far," he said in a statement on Sunday (Feb 22).

Shamsul said more witnesses would be called in to assist in the investigation.

ALSO READ: Special committee has begun probe into Azam's shareholding issue, says AG

He said the committee would ensure that the probe is conducted in a transparent, independent and professional manner.

"The findings and recommendations for further action will be submitted to the relevant authorities, including if there is any breach of criminal law or the regulations in force," he added.

Earlier, the police confirmed receiving a report on an article by Bloomberg that contained allegedly defamatory statements against Azam.

Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID) director Comm Datuk M. Kumar was reported to have said that the case is being investigated by the Classified Criminal Investigation Unit under CID's Prosecution/Legal Division (D5).

ALSO READ: Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency

The investigation is being carried out under Section 500 of the Penal Code for defamation and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, he added.

Azam had previously stated that he no longer holds shares in any company and that all past share transactions were conducted transparently and in full compliance with government regulations.

He also said that his trading account is currently inactive and that this can be verified with Bursa Malaysia.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM3.5mil lost to love scams in January 2026, says cops
Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read